Monday, April 18, 2011

Mandy's Book of the Week (4/18)

For your consideration this week, I present a book of non-fiction.  Shocker!


From the book jacket, I got the idea that this was about Charles Darwin's (author of The Origins of Species) marriage to a devout Christian woman.  I was intrigued.  How did the man who presented one of the most radical ideas (ie-evolution) of his time end up marrying someone who was deeply religious?  How did that work?

Wow.  I think most people aspire to have a marriage like theirs. 

This book reads like a love story and is based off of the massive amounts of letters that they wrote to one another during their engagement and from the volumes and volumes of journals they each kept.  Really, it is fascinating.  I didn't feel like I was reading a work on non-fiction at all.

Spoiler alert!

They had 10 children.  Only 7 lived to adulthood, but wow.  Even 7 is an impressive number.

No comments:

Post a Comment